Breaking News

What Alcohol Does To Your Liver.


Drinking too much alcohol, toxins cannot escape but accumulate in the liver, causing fatty liver, hepatitis, cirrhosis, liver cancer.

When alcohol enters the body, only about 10% of alcohol is excreted in the urine, sweat and breath, the remaining 90% will go straight to the liver. Here, alcohol from alcohol will be processed by liver cells, conducting the detoxification process. However, the ability of the liver is limited, can only handle a certain amount of alcohol per hour. The higher the concentration of alcohol in the blood, the longer it takes to process.

Experts around the world say the alcohol at the safe level is one unit per day, in which one unit = 25 ml of 40-degree alcoholic drinks, or 50 ml of 20-degree alcoholic drinks. If exceeded, the liver cells are overloaded, the alcohol in alcohol is converted into acetaldehyde - a toxic substance not only to the liver but also nerves, sight, stomach, digestive tract, accumulated in the liver.

At that time, the harm began to happen. Three major liver diseases that drinkers experience are fatty liver, hepatitis, and cirrhosis. Over time, liver cells are destroyed, leading to liver cancer.

Doctor, doctor Le Thanh Ly - Ho Chi Minh City Hepatobiliary Association said that, according to statistics, 90% of people who regularly use alcohol are suffering from fatty liver.

Fatty liver is the phenomenon of fat accumulation in liver cells. Manifestations are constant cravings, abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes. This condition may regress when the patient stops taking it. On the contrary, if you continue to drink heavily, it will gradually progress to hepatitis.

Mild alcoholic hepatitis is often asymptomatic, if present only in the presence of abnormal liver enzymes in the blood. Some cases become chronic, causing progressive destruction of liver cells, eventually leading to cirrhosis. The more severe form shows fatigue, signs of jaundice, and sometimes pain in the liver. Acute hepatitis will be more pronounced: patients quickly lead to liver coma, dark jaundice, coagulopathy, cognitive impairment, coma, gastrointestinal bleeding, high mortality.

Cirrhosis is a steady fibrosis of a normal liver tissue. This process is also progressive, fibrous tissue affects the normal structure and regeneration of liver cells, over time, the liver loses its function. The fibrous tissue also has a harmful effect that prevents the normal circulation of blood flow to the liver. Scar tissue formation is permanent, irreversible.

At first, the loss of several liver cells does not affect the patient, no symptoms appear. As more liver cells are destroyed, the fibrous tissue increases, the disease begins to have symptoms similar to hepatitis. The only difference is that the processes of cirrhosis progress more slowly. In people with severe cirrhosis, portal hypertension syndrome often appears with symptoms: ascites, bladder circulation ... The most dangerous of cirrhosis is one of the biggest risk factors for liver cancer. .

To prevent liver diseases, experts say that the most important thing is to give up alcohol. For alcoholics, it may begin with reducing the amount of alcohol during the week. Patients should be advised about diet, vitamin and mineral supplements, reduction of drugs, food that is harmful to the liver, aspirate aspiration, diuretics and antibiotics for patients with ascites. . When the liver is no longer active, the only solution is a liver transplant.

The recommended alcohol intake is as follows: Men consume no more than 4 units a day and less than 21 units a week. Female: limited to 3 units a day and 14 units a week. Pregnant women absolutely should not drink. Individual women still using alcohol, must be less than 1-2 units a week and do not get drunk.

No comments