Breaking News

The Church Is Made Of Wood Without Nails, 300 Years Old Still Stands


Kizhi Pogost Church is located on Kizhi island of Medvezhyegorsky, Republic of Karelia, Russia. This unique architecture includes two wooden churches and octagonal bell towers built in the 18th century.

The center of the complex is the Transfiguration Church, which has 22 domes and a large wooden wall with religious portraits. This church has a height of about 37 meters, made entirely of wood, this is one of the tallest wooden structures in the world.

Interestingly, the entire church did not use any nails but stood still against the rain, time and termites.
Hien Dung Church was built in June 1714, after the old church was burned down by lightning. The main structure of the church is the round pine core with a diameter of about 30cm and 3-5m long. The construction logs have been shipped from the mainland, which was quite a complicated job at the time.

There is a legend that the master mechanic used an ax to build the whole building. Once completed, he threw it into the river and said before and later there will be no such work.
According to the Russian tradition of carpentry at that time, Hien Dung Church did not use a nail. The whole work is done by assembling mortise with wooden core horizontally, interlocking at the corners. 

The church is covered with 22 domes of different sizes and shapes stretching from the top to the sides. The roof of the church is made from spruce wood panels and the arch is covered with aspen leaf. This intricate design also provides effective ventilation to protect the church from decay.

Thanks to Hien Dung church, which was built for summer use, there is no heating, and the winters in Russia are also very cold. In Russia, the construction of dual churches to use for different seasons (winter and summer) is quite common.

Adjacent to the Kizhi Pogost population is the Church of the Intercession with 9 horizontal domes, built in 1764. In the 19th century, the two churches were decorated with wooden boards and some sets of Armored parts. Afterwards, the building was restored to its original design in the 1950s.

No comments