Breaking News

After Huawei, the United States announced it was about to take action with Tik Tok, WeChat and a series of Chinese companies


After Huawei, the United States announced it was about to take action with Tik Tok, WeChat and a series of Chinese companies

On July 15, the White House chief of staff said that the administration of President Donald Trump is currently assessing the national security risks of social media applications such as TikTok and WeChat and is expected to Take action to resolve the issue "within weeks".

Speaking to reporters on a flight from Georgia to Washington, White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said many government officials were assessing national security risks related to TikTok, WeChat and many other applications, especially in the issue of collecting information about US citizens of a foreign entity.

Without giving a specific time, according to Mr. Meadows, the actions will be taken in a few weeks, not months.

Earlier this month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that the United States was considering banning Chinese social media apps, including TikTok, but did not give further details.

However, the New York Times reported on July 14, citing sources that the Trump administration will act under the International Emergency Economic Power Law, giving the President greater authority to punish companies that deal with unusual threats
On the same day, Pompeo said the US would impose visa restrictions "on certain employees who work for Chinese technology companies like Huawei".

Earlier, on June 30, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) of the United States formally considered China's telecommunications corporations Huawei and ZTE as "a threat to US national security", and declared announced banning US companies from using $ 8.3 billion government budget to buy equipment from these companies.

Pompeo's announcement came in the context of the same day, the British government instructed the country's telecom suppliers not to buy fifth-generation mobile telecommunications network equipment (5G) from Huawei since the beginning of next year. The directive also requires the removal of all Huawei equipment by 2027.


No comments