Breaking News

US Lowers Its Flag In Consulate After The Building Is Shut Down And Taken Over By Chinese Authorities (photo)

The US flag in the grounds of the Chengdu consulate was pulled down at 6:18 am this morning on July 27 (Chinese time).

According to AFP, on 27/7, the US flag hung at the US consulate in Chengdu (China) has been lowered, a few days after Beijing asked the diplomatic agency closed to retaliate for consular work. Chinese shops in Houston were forced to close.

The video, recorded outside the US consulate, broadcast on Chinese state-run CCTV, shows the American flag was lowered slowly on the morning of July 27, amid escalating diplomatic tensions between the two powers when they both accused the other of threatening national security.

According to CCTV, the US flag was lowered from the early morning of July 27. Beijing has ordered the closure of the consulate in Chengdu City (Sichuan Province) in response to Washington's request to close the Chinese Consulate in Houston (Texas).

The deadline for Americans to leave Chengdu is still unclear. Meanwhile, the US has requested that the Chinese Consulate in Houston be closed within 72 hours, before July 24. President Donald Trump warned Washington could demand the closure of other Chinese consulates.

Over the past two weekends, trucks and cleaners were seen taking big black garbage bags from the Consulate in Chengdu.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry affirmed that Beijing ordered the US Consulate in Chengdu to cease operations as "necessary and legal response to Washington's unreasonable measures".

Earlier, the Chinese consulate in Houston was closed on the afternoon of July 24 (US time) under the order of President Donald Trump issued on July 21.

The head of the White House gave Beijing 72 hours to evacuate all personnel and affirmed the action was to "protect intellectual property and the American people" from China.

China responded by ordering the closure of the US consulate in Chengdu, as well as giving a 72-hour deadline for all staff working in the building to leave. Beijing sees this as a "legal and necessary response" to Washington's "unreasonable actions".

No comments